Beti Bachao and Beti Padhao are one of the most famous slogans of our current ruling political party. It has made quite a stir among us. The protesting slogan helped diminish the favouritism of a boy over a girl child from people’s minds. Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a scheme introduced under the Beti Bachao and Beti Padhao campaigns to spread awareness of helping girl education for the country’s future.
The scheme offers a savings plan to the parents of a female child through which they can deposit a minimum sum of money every year for their child. The government will pay a higher interest rate, and the scheme will mature when the girl is 21 years old. The money will be given to the girl child for her further education.
|Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Scheme 2023 Information at a Glance|
|Name of the Scheme||Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana|
|Launched On||22nd January 2015|
|Launched By||Honourable Prime Minister of India, Sri Narendra Modi|
|Type||Investment Plan under Small Deposit Scheme|
|Maintained By||Ministry of Finance, Government of India|
|Campaign Name of Which the Scheme Belongs||Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao|
|Benefits at a Glance||To help the female population with sufficient funds for their higher education.Tax benefits unHigher interest rate compared to other govt. schemes.Flexible deposit amount starting from Rs. 250/- to up to 1,50000/- in a year.|
|Criteria||The deposit should only be made in favour of a girl child. The child must be 0 – 10 years old.|
|Number of Total Beneficiary Accounts||3,25,12,095 (As of December 2022)|
What are the Benefits of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
The scheme Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana has a lot of great benefits for the ultimate beneficiary.
- The yearly investment amount into this scheme is set very low so that every person can afford the scheme. The minimum deposit amount is Rs. 250/- per year. At the same time, a person can deposit a maximum amount of 1,50,000/- in a year.
- Amongst all the small savings schemes announced by Govt. of India, this scheme has the highest level of interest, and that’s why the beneficiary will get a reasonable sum of money after maturity.
- The scheme also has many tax benefits, and the interest earned on principle will also fall under the tax exemption category under section 80 C.
- The account opening process is really simple. You can open your account at any of the public sector banks and post office branches. Also, three private banks are entrusted with this responsibility. The scheme is available in any HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, and ICICI Bank branches across India.
- If you want to relocate your account to any other location, you can easily do it. It means you can transfer your Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account anywhere in India from one entrusted bank or post office to another.
- This scheme will pay you interest continuously even after the scheme’s maturity until you withdraw the money.
- You can withdraw 50% of the saved amount when your daughter turns 18 in case of an emergency fund requirement.
How to Apply for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
You can easily apply for this Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme. All sorts of information about the scheme are available at all public sector banks, post offices and designated private banks. Let’s see how to apply for this scheme –
- The first thing you need to do to apply for this scheme, namely Sukanya Samriddhi, is to get its application form.
- You can get the application form online. For this, you need to go to the official website of the National Savings Institute.
- Once you get into the website, scroll down towards the bottom of the page and click on the following option – ‘Click for Scheme Forms’.
- Once you click on this option, another page will open.
- Now click on ‘Application for Opening Account Under National Savings Scheme’.
- The PDF version of the form will be downloaded.
- You need to duly fill up the form with the appropriate information as asked there, paste the required photographs and sign the form.
- Now, prepare the required documents and submit the form to your nearest post office or designated bank branch.
- Make the necessary deposit that you want to make to start the processing.
- Once the processing is done, you will receive the passbook with detailed information on the account.
- You can also collect this form offline from the post office or designated bank branches where you will open your account.
- The rest process of the Sukanya Samriddhi yojana application will be the same as stated above.
The Documents Required for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
Now you have a clear vision of this scheme and its application process. Another essential aspect that you should know is the documents required for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. Let’s check out what are the necessary documents you need to submit along with the application form –
- The certificate of birth of the girl child for whom you will apply the scheme.
- Photo ID proof of parents or local guardians of the girl who will deposit the money on behalf of the girl.
- Address proof of parents or local guardians of the girl who will deposit the funds on behalf of the girl.
- KYC documents such as Aadhar or PAN, Voter Card etc.
- Medical certificate in case you have two or more children, and they share the exact date of birth.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
There are specific eligibility criteria in order to have a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account. You have to fall under the following criteria in order to avail of the scheme.
- The account has to be opened in the name of the local guardian or parents of the girl child.
- The age of the girl child must not exceed 10 years while applying for the scheme.
- Each account holder is allowed to have a single scheme only.
- Two girl children in one family can be facilitated with this scheme.
You can get Dindayal Upadhyay Gramin Kaushal Yojana detail here.
How to Get Assistance for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
For more assistance about the scheme, its facilities and other information, you can contact the branch where you opened your account. There are additional contact options too, where you can get relevant details on Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme –
- You can share your queries over email and send them to the following email address – firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can dial the following official number for telephonic assistance – (011) 24303714.